Owl's Head Park in Bay Ridge, NY
Owl's Head Park
The Canarsie Indians were a group of people who lived in and around present-day Owl’s Head Park, fishing along the Hudson River.
They also collected oysters on shoreline near where you can find many restaurants today that sell them fresh from NYC.
Another thing these adventurous pioneers did was farm - which means they grew crops like corn or beans for food instead of just hunting animals every day with their bow & arrow
Their land seems perfect because it has rich soil so farming there made sense.
The first Americans to settle this land were of Dutch descent.
They established Yellow Hook, an agricultural community named for the yellow clay that leached from shore into water and made it unsuitable for farming without extensive irrigation systems or natural rainfall; but soon other Protestants arrived looking more favorably on their prospects here in America than those living near by at Barbados who suffered under English rule.
Among these farmers are Swaen Janse - formerly enslaved person whom they purchased his freedom upon arrival
Up until 1853, Yellow Hook reminded people of the yellow fever epidemic. In order to avoid such a problem for their community and in honor (or Bay Ridge) this prominent geological feature that stretches from New Jersey all along Long Island’s shoreline; citizens renamed it Owl's Head Park which is located on terminal moraine land at its end near Brooklyn Bridge Park.
The moraine is a reminder that the Wisconsin glacier once scraped and bouldered its way across 10,000 years ago.
A moraine marks the place where 10,000-year old Wisconsin glacier deposited boulders and rocks. The rich soil provide nutrients for some of America's most endurable trees such as pines locust oaks maples corks beeches and one S shaped tulip poplar which defy gravity with its remarkable height at 30 meters.
Eliphalet W. Bliss bequeathed his million-dollar property to New York City for $835,000 with the stipulation that it would be used solely as parkland.
In 1928 he eventually got what he asked for when all four corners were designated one big green space in honor of him.
Owl’s Head Park was once the site of Eliphalet W. Bliss's estate, but it fell into neglect after he passed away.
The mansion and stables were demolished by 1940 while only one tower remains as a reminder this once magnificent property
Redevelopment plans for Owl's Head park include restoring these original gates from an old fence at its southeastern entrance.
1123 Broadway, New York, NY 10010