Brooklyn Bridge Park in Brooklyn Heights, NY
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Brooklyn Bridge Park in the Brooklyn Heights area is an 85-acre park that stretches along Brooklyn’s East River shoreline. It has been planned, built and maintained by the not for profit Brooklyn Bridge Corporation.
The area that is today Brooklyn Bridge Park was once a site of bustling commerce, and it played an important role in the city’s history as transportation terminal. The park also served as entry point for immigrants who came here looking for work.
The park became an artistic activist center as well before being transformed into world-class attraction visited by millions every year.
In 1652, the Dutch started a ferry service that ran between what is now Manhattan and Brooklyn. But it wasn't until 1814 when Robert Fulton's steam powered company revolutionized travel by providing an affordable alternative for people living in less prosperous areas who couldn’t afford expensive horse carriage rides or even just crossing town on foot.
The first railroad lines were installed at the Fulton Ferry Landing in 1850s, and construction of massive brick warehouses began immediately following. Most notably is Empire Stores - a large storage space built for this one company that became its own self-contained city with stores on every corner! Smaller storage facilities lined alongside it as well; these small “finger piers” jutted out into lower Manhattan waterways like weird fingers trying to reach up towards taller buildings above them which seemed very far away back then because things move slow there...
One day we might look around us and realize how much change has gone down since those days—world trade grew exponentially while people got more connected than ever before by technology.
The opening of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883 and Manhattan Bridge just a few years later signaled that times had changed. The ferries were no longer king, but this also meant people's attention was turning away from small coastal towns for new horizons across bigger waters
The construction on these bridges signaled an end to days when transportation happened mainly by boat or ship - now everything would be done exclusively via land based vehicles with some marine use mixed into it.
The construction of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in the 1950s created spaces that were once not possible. The disappearance of finger piers allowed larger ships and cargo to become a reality, which revitalized this area forever more.
After a period of decline, the construction of Brooklyn-Queens Expressway revitalized this part of Queens. The wide piers made it possible for bigger ships and cargo to pass through easily which then caused businesses around here flourish as well.
During the 1970s, much of Brooklyn's waterfront was abandoned. This is due in part to trade technology and transportation advances that occurred throughout this period leading up until then. In the early 1980s, plans were announced by New York's Port Authority to sell off some of its most valuable assets for commercial development. This caused a reevaluation and sparked community movement which led them in reclaiming what used be public land at that point.
1123 Broadway, New York, NY 10010